Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumnal Equinox!

Well, it's here. The first day of Fall has arrived! The great thing about weather in Michigan is that it keeps you on your toes. Weeks ago, while up north for Labor Day weekend, it was as cold as mid-November, yet trees were full of green! Then yesterday rolls around, the eve of the great Autumnal Equinox, and Summer stubbornly dug her heels into the dirt, and refused to leave without a fight. 85 and sunny. That's Michigan for you.

Now that I'm years out of school, I'm never too sad to see Summer leave. Fall is my favorite, and though I'll acknowledge that Summer is far too short, Fall is shorter. Before I know it, the days of scarves, college football and pumpkins will be replaced with Winter coats, shovels, and starting my car 5 minutes early.

Yesterday, I celebrated the coming of this day of hemispherical symmetry (today the sun finds itself directly over the equator, making for 12 hours of sunlight!) with a farewell to Summer, and step into Fall. Before the new shows started (welcome back Glee!), Audry, Walter and I took a nice long walk around the neighborhood. I enjoyed the warm breeze, and noted all the signs of Summer that will soon be gone. Boy 1 pulling boy 2 around on a bike, the neighbor watering his lawn, and the multiple porch sitters. When I got home, I made a batch of green bean soup. I had the ingredients from the inaugural attempt last week, and it turned out just as great! The house continued in that limbo between Summer and Fall for the rest of the night: It smelled great, good T.V. was on, but it was still too hot. The air was on all night, as Summer literally went out with a BANG. A storm so loud it even woke me, the deepest of sleepers. And with that, 85 and sunny turned into mid 60's and rainy.

So it seems as stubborn as Summer is about leaving, Fall is ready to make it's appearance. But knowing Michigan, this battle could go on for weeks :)

Fall blessings!

No comments: